Mosquito steps!
by Megha Subramanian
My mother told me not to go there alone, so you know what I did, I went there anyway! Actually it wasn’t far and my wings had developed yesterday. But you know how they say, the world is bad out there and obviously, I didn’t know the world, I was literally born yesterday!
My mother’s voice kept ringing in my ears; “Beware, don’t, don’t go, don’t..” As I rose above the pink compound wall, I forgot all those words. It was beautiful, shrubs, grass, trees and lots of kids meant lots of food. There were many of my kind hovering around over their heads. I too decided to join them. Then I suddenly spotted three men with huge cylinders. Their faces were covered in some masks. I decided to go towards them to get my share of food. The men parted as I took my place on a brown collar. He was walking so vigorously that I had to hang on to my dear life.
Suddenly I heard my mother’s voice, “Beware of flying hands, nets, red/orange lights at the corner of a room, men with cylinders...” “Oh God, I was sitting on a man with a cylinder!” And he sprayed white smoke into the grass. I saw thousands of my members biting the dust. I knew this was the end, I had a week to go, but I brought it upon myself early by not listening to my mother. I was about to fly away, when I thought, if anyway I am going to die, then why not eat my food and die? That’s what I was here for, wasn’t I, at least I could accomplish that?
So I went back into the collar close to the neck and poked my proboscis into it and got my food. His hand moved to the collar and I quickly moved on to his chest hair, carefully avoiding the skin. The hand ruffled vigorously, and I was scared. Then I thought, if I am anyway going to die how does it matter if it is the white smoke or his hand or anything else? Also I had accomplished my task of getting my own food. I stopped moving and held on to his chest hair firmly. White smoke was moving upwards and had reached his shoulders. I moved further down, closer to his stomach. It was tough to breathe, but I realized that he was constantly moving away from the white smoke and so were all the humans. Most of them had disappeared into their houses.
Suddenly I stopped choking. I moved up and sat on the collar button to look around. He was quite far away from the white smoke and I was closer to the puddle. As soon as he raised his hand to get the cylinder into position to spray again, I flew away with all my vigour. I wasn’t scared anymore because I was ready for all that might happen to me. And I safely reached the puddle.
My mother was all worried and screamed at me for not following her orders. I listened and then I said, “If I had, then I would have ever discovered something so beautiful!” “What?” She asked. “Well, that there is nothing to fear in this world because the end is certain, whether it happens now or later, how does it matter as long as we do what we want to?” My mother didn’t understand a thing then and she quickly said, “Let’s go, the white smoke is coming!” I flew up with her and said, “I know a safe place, I just escaped it.” And we both sat on the same brown collar that went out of the gate! My mother said I had grown up and I smiled!
And for you, I don’t hate you, that’s just my food and hence I bite!
No comments:
Post a Comment